As a volunteer at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and VCU Alumni (VCUA) you might have access to what this agreement refers to as "confidential information."
This agreement will help you understand your responsibilities regarding access and protection of confidential information.
Confidential information includes patient/staff/volunteer/student/alumni information, financial information, other information relating to VCU and/or the VCUA and information proprietary to other companies or persons. You could learn of or have access to some or all of this confidential information through a computer system or through your volunteer or employment activities.
Confidential information is valuable, sensitive and is protected by law and by strict VCU policies. The intent of these laws and policies is to ensure that confidential information will remain confidential, that is, it will be used only as necessary to accomplish the organization's mission.
As a volunteer, you are required to conduct yourself in strict conformance to applicable laws and VCU policies governing confidential information. Your principal obligations in this area are explained below. You are required to read and to abide by these duties.
The violation of any of these duties will subject you to discipline, which might include, but is not limited to legal liability.
As a volunteer, you understand that you will have access to confidential information, which might include but is not limited to, information relating to:
- Constituent (alumni or donor) information (such as records, conversations, admittance information, patient/member financial information, etc.)
- Staff, volunteers or students (such as employment records, grades, performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, etc.)
- VCU information (such as financial and statistical records, strategic plans, internal reports, memos, contracts, peer review information, communications, proprietary computer programs, source code, proprietary technology, etc.)
- Third-party information (such as computer programs, client and vendor proprietary information source code, proprietary technology, etc.)
Accordingly, as a condition of and in consideration of your access to confidential information, you agree that:
You will use confidential information only as needed to perform your legitimate duties as a volunteer affiliated with VCU.
This means, among other things, that:
- You will only access confidential information for which you have a need to know.
- You will not in any way divulge, copy, release, sell, loan, review, alter or destroy any confidential information except as properly authorized within the scope of your activities affiliated with VCU.
- You will not misuse confidential information or treat confidential information carelessly.
- You will not misuse confidential information to contact individuals that is not in a one-to-one manner (sent emails must come from the VCU Office of Alumni Relations)